Monday, November 22, 2010

From CSA'er Julie

We've sometimes fallen behind in trying our new produce, so last week (from a CSA share several weeks ago), I was making a soup and went to cut up what looked like turnips and discovered they had a strange bright red inside. I looked them up and found out they are watermelon radishes and are best eaten raw, so I sliced them up and tried a few. They were amazing! For those who didn't get a chance to really try them: they are related to both the horseradish and turnip families.  The inside tastes like a sweet radish - almost beet-like it was so sweet, and the outside (white/green) tastes spicy like horseradish.  They are the only vegetables that all three of our kids agree are yummy and will eat without hesitation.  Here is a good link describing them and what to do with them:

http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--36089/watermelon-radish.asp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I still have the watermelon radishes and will prepare them for Thanksgiving. I believe I had them at a restaurant in DC - Nora - and they were delicious. I haven't seen them since.